Images of America is available for purchase at the Town of Lloyd Town Hall for $20. All proceeds go to the Town of Lloyd Historical Preservation Society.
The Town of Lloyd was first settled in 1754, when Anthony Yelverton brought equipment for a sawmill across the Hudson River. In addition to his sawmill, he built a brickyard and conducted a store in the lower level of his house. The riverfront became the town of Lloyd’s first business district. This area was later called Highland Landing, for the new village of Highland that developed on the higher ground above the landing. In the 19th century, steamboats carried freight and passengers from Highland to New York City, and ferryboats crossed the Hudson River to Poughkeepsie several times every day. With the completion of the West Shore Railroad in 1883, the Poughkeepsie-Highland Railroad Bridge and the Central New England Railway in 1888, and a trolley line going west in 1897, Highland could rightfully claim that it was the “Gateway to Ulster County.”
Author Bio: Ethan P. Jackman holds a master’s degree from Columbia University, served four terms as president of the Town of Lloyd Historical Preservation Society, and was appointed town historian in 2008. An ardent preservationist, he has been credited with spearheading the revival of downtown Highland by turning the vacant First National Bank building into the Highland Antique and Art Center, completing the unfinished Ossie Building, and organizing numerous downtown events in the late 1990s.